There is nothing like a good British Cream Scone. I just used cream cheese instead of clotted cream or Devonshire Cream which is English, and a dollup of homemade strawberry jam. You can add raisins if you want, I didn’t. Some other time. So light and fluffy with a tendered golden outside. Once you make them a couple of times it goes pretty fast.
If you must know I’ve never been to England but it is top of my list for places to visit. I’ve been around the world and somehow by-passed this charming little country. I dream of tea with the queen or better yet, with Kate. After I get my kids through college I’m packing my bags and might never come back.
This recipe makes about 8 and it seemed like a lot at the time. Then all of a sudden I’ve found myself fresh out of scones!!!! Not sure how that happened……………..Yikes did I consume all these in a two hour period. Yep looks like I did! One of those occupational hazards…..
Preheat oven to 425 degrees1 cup self-rising flour pinch of salt teaspoons superfine sugar handful of raisins (optional) 1/3 cup unsalted butter (not too cold and hard) 1 large egg 2-3 tablespoons milk DIRECTIONS
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and raisins, if using them.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and mix in 2 tablespoons milk.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and pour in the egg mixture. Using a fork and working quickly bring the ingredients together adding more milk if necessary to make the dough damp.
- Form a ball with the dough and place on a floured work surface. Roll out quickly and gently with a rolling pon (no need to knead) until the dough is approximately 1″ thick.
- Form into a rough square and cut into 9 smaller squares or use a cutter to make round scones.
- Place well apart on the baking tray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the scones are well risen and golden on top.
- Remove the scones from the oven, allow to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes and eat warm.