It’s that time of year. The Cherry Blossoms have arrived, spring is coming! When I see the tiny little buds popping out on the trees, it makes me smile. Don’t get me wrong, I love a hot chocolate next to a blazing fire as much as anyone. However I just like knowing that we have turned the corner and warmer weather is on the way, hence FLOWERS! I made these cupcakes for a customer last year and knew everyone would love the how-to.
Here is the how-to video. Honestly they are super easy to make.
First make these Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting. It also works with Vanilla Butter Cream if you like that better, either way is fine.
Red Velvet Cake
2 -1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups vegetable, canola, or safflower oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (the best you can find)
1-1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon red food coloring
Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl until blended. About 2 minutes. Fill baking cups 3/4 full. Bake at 325 degrees for about 17 minutes turning pan halfway through. Baking times vary so always test with a toothpick. The toothpick should come out dry. Don’t over bake. This recipe should make about 24 cupcakes. Cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 lb. soft butter unsalted (4 sticks)
1 lb. powdered sugar sifted
1 lb. cream cheese softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (best you can find)
Mix together thoroughly vanilla, butter, and cream cheese. Slowly add powdered sugar. Blend until all the lumps are gone.
Next the decorating:
- Add a dollop of frosting to each cupcake and smooth with an off-set knife. Set aside.
- Next roll out red fondant and stamp out flowers of all varied sizes.
- Take a squeeze top off a bottle of anything you have and use it to stamp the center of the flower.
- Use a knife to make an impression on the tip of each flower pedal.
- Set aside the flowers.
- Make a paper cone to hold the melted chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or use a double boiler but either way melt slowly and stir frequently.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into the cone and pipe on the top of each cupcake. Make it look like a branch.
- Add flowers to the top.
Did you think that was easy or hard?