These cupcakes taste just like strawberry shortcake only with a chocolaty center. Just in time for Valentine’s Day. When we made these at the shop we couldn’t bake them fast enough. Probably the chocolate dipped strawberry had something to do with that. Fruit and chocolate is a favorite combo of mine. Now I just need to figure out a recipe for vegetables and chocolate!!
Careful to choose the right size strawberries. These in the photo are a little big and had a tendency to slide off. If you are transporting them somewhere just put the strawberries on the tops once you get to your destination. I didn’t add pink color to the frosting but you certainly could do that if you wanted a more vibrant pink.
INGREDIENTS FOR STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CUPCAKES
preheat oven to 350 degrees, makes about 24 cupcakes
1 /2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar .14 oz
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups flour .13 oz.
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup strawberry puree
24 chocolate dipped strawberries (below)
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE FILLING
4 oz bittersweet chocolate
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
10 oz semisweet chocolate
2 sticks butter unsalted
5 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk
INGREDIENTS FOR VANILLA STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
Do yourself a favor and use the best vanilla you can find it makes a big difference.
1 lb. soft butter unsalted (4 sticks)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 lb powdered sugar sifted
1/4 cup strawberry puree
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE DIPPED STRAWBERRIES
24 medium-sized washed strawberries
8 oz. of chocolate melts (chocolate for making candy*)
* most craft stores will have these now and also cooking specialty stores
DIRECTIONS FOR STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CUPCAKES
1. In a bowl mix together buttermilk, milk, vanilla extract, and baking soda. Set aside.
2. Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer on medium speed blend together eggs and sugar until blended. Blend in oil. Next add flour mixture and then milk mixture alternating beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Blend thoroughly for about 3 minutes.
4. Fold in strawberry puree.
5. Fill baking cups about 2/3 full. Bake until just golden, about 15 minutes. Don’t over bake !
6. Remove from oven and cool completely.
7. Fill cupcakes with chocolate ganache filling.
8. Frost with Vanilla Strawberry Buttercream frosting. Place a chocolate dipped strawberry on top.
DIRECTIONS FOR GANACHE FILLING
- Melt chocolates and butter over double boiler. Slowly stirring constantly.
- Stir until smooth.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift powdered sugar, and salt into a bowl.
- Combine milk and vanilla.
- Add milk/vanilla mixture to sugar/salt mixture.
- Whisk until incorporated.
- Add melted chocolate/butter mixture to milk/vanilla/sugar/salt mixture.
- Stir until smooth.
Chill it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or so, whatever it takes to get it thick enough to frost. Place in a frosting bag and fill the cupcakes. Keep in the refrigerator unused portion covered tight for up to one week.
DIRECTIONS FOR VANILLA STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
Blend the butter and vanilla in a mixer at medium speed until soft and blended well, about 3 minutes. Slowly add powdered sugar a little at a time on low-speed. Once it is all in and mixed beat at high-speed until light and fluffy for about 4 minutes. Next you can fold in the strawberry puree just until blended do not over mix. You can store the unused frosting in an airtight container in the frig about a week.
DIRECTIONS FOR CHOCOLATE DIPPED STRAWBERRIES
- After the strawberries are wash dry them completely. I like to leave my green stems on the berries but you can take them off. Set aside.
- Heat melting chocolates on a double boiler or in the microwave. Either way, use low temperature and heat them slowly. Stirring constantly. These chocolates have a lower melting temperature than regular chocolate.
- When the chocolate is completely melted dip the strawberries in and place on wax paper to cool.