My latest compulsion: Gnomes
What is it about these creatures that I can’t get enough of? Creepy and cute at the same time. Family and friends have been receiving my Kahlua for years as a holiday gift. They’ll get a big laugh this time when they open the package. The Kahlua tastes better if it has been seasoned for at least 3 weeks. So if you are going to give these you’d better get busy!
This recipe uses brown sugar which gives the Kahlua an extra rich depth. Use the best quality vanilla and instant coffee you can get your hands on.
My favorite way to serve Kahlua is poured over vanilla ice cream in a wide-mouthed glass, hand mixed with a spoon almost like a milkshake but not too blended. On cold nights I simply pour it in hot chocolate, add mashmellows, and bam, my night cap. Never had a problem going to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
You can find the bottle just about anywhere but I found mine at a liquor store. I bought several beers that used this type of bottle, drank the beer (bonus) then cleaned, wha la, a Kahlua container. It doesn’t have to be a dark bottle but somehow it just looks better that way. Most importantly look for is a tight seal.
2 cups light brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup good instant coffee
1 fifth vodka
2 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons good vanilla extract
- Dissolve sugars in the water in a saucepan at medium heat and bring to boil. Boil and stir constantly for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Slowly add instant coffee stirring frequently.
- Let cool off heat for 15 minutes and stir occasionally. Next stir in vanilla extract.
- Once cooled add the vodka and blend.
- Let cool completely before pouring into bottles.
- Close tight and store in a dark place for 3 weeks.